Popular Posts

Website Still Under Construction Please Bear With Us!!



“A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove...but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child.”

Saturday, April 30, 2011

My early years- Kay

I am the oldest child in my family.  I have one brother and one sister.   My father was in the air force during the first 11 years of my life and we travelled around quite a bit.  We even lived in the Netherlands [Holland} for 3 years!! 
My mother read to me from the time I was an infant and I have always loved books!!  I intend to read to our children from birth to adulthood, and beyond if they will let me!!
I was a bit of a tom boy and loved to climb tree's, and most of my friends were boys.  I did love dolls and barbies in my preteen years. I spent many happy hours building "houses" for my barbies out of any materials available.  Its amazing what you can do with shoe boxes, zip lock bags and egg cartons.
My parents loved Christmas!! Especially my dad.  It was always a race on Christmas morning to see who would be the first ones out of bed, Us or Daddy!! Usually it was daddy!!
My mom spent a lot of time crocheting doll clothes for our babies and barbies.  She loved to get down on the floor and spend time playing with us.  It was important to her that her children had a mom who was interested in them, not just interested in a clean house!!  Our friends always seemed to want to hang out at our house.  Dad took each of us kids on individual "dates" every few months so we could have some one on one time.  He had a great sense of humor and loved to read as well.  We spent many sunday evenings at our grandparents {dad's parents} for supper and a movie night after we moved back to California.  My grandmother was the one who taught me how to cook.   Cooking was not one of my mom's talents!!  She could open a can like a pro, but she was better at cleaning up the kitchen!!

I was raised in the LDS Church and have many happy memories of Primary and Young women's.  I discovered my own testimony at quite an early age and it has always been a  source of strength for me.  Faith was an important part of our lives.  My parents were sealed in the temple when I was 11 years old and it was one of the most important moments of my life.   My father left the military when I was 10 years old, to pursue his dream of being a commercial artist.  We lived in California for about 5 years after that, and then eventually moved to Utah.
We had only been in Utah for a few weeks when my dad was diagnosed with Leukemia.  I was 16 years old.  Only  6 months later we lost him., I felt as though the center of my world had disappeared.  I was very close to my dad.  My mom had to go to work for the first time in her life.  She depended on me to help raise my younger brother and sister.  I have no regrets about those responsibilities as it brought us closer together.  Both of my siblings call me their "other " mom. 
I have a strong belief that the time away from my dad will only be for a short while and that some day we will be reunited.  I have felt his presence many times in my life.  I am grateful to have had a incredible dad for 16 years and a mom who withstood the loss of her husband and raised 3 kids.
I hope to emulate their great example of parenthood!!

No comments:

Post a Comment